Communications and Online Organizing Coordinator
Communications and Online Organizing Coordinator
The New Economy Coalition (NEC) Youth and Student Network seeks a highly capable, flexible and experienced Communications and Online Organizing Coordinator. The position is an opportunity to work with a growing communications team to use narrative story telling, strategic public relations, and online organizing tactics to broaden the movement for a just and sustainable economy. The function will include responsibilities for the development and execution of the program's various communications strategies and social media campaigns. The person in this position will be responsible for raising the profile and broadening the reach of the Youth and Student Network program through the use of strategic communications and online organizing. The position will involve working closely with the Director of Communications and Online Organizing to build out our communications infrastructure, develop integrated online campaigns, compile communications resources, and reach out to journalists, educators, stakeholders and supporters, through the use of traditional and new media tools.
The mission of the New Economy Coalition (NEC) is to convene and support all those who might contribute to an economy that is restorative to people, place, and planet, and that operates according to principles of democracy, justice and appropriate scale. Faced with interconnected ecological and economic crises, we believe that shared prosperity, sustainability and an equitable society require deep, systemic changes to both our economy and our politics. We support a just transition to a new economy that enables both thriving communities and ecological health. NEC is a network of individuals and organizations interacting within a broad framework of shared objectives, open to many perspectives and ideas. We share a commitment to working across differences to change the political economic system through mutual learning and collaborative action.
After a year of successful organizing, the New Economy Coalition's Youth and Student Network is poised to move into a new phase – dramatically growing the network of young people engaged in building the New Economy, incubating projects and campaigns led by students and youth growth, and moving towards a collective vision and strategy. We are launching a second round of microgrant programs, building relationships with a growing network of young people and developing young leaders in the New Economy Coalition and in the New Economy field more generally.
The person in this position will be responsible for raising the profile and broadening the reach of the Youth and Student Network program through the use of strategic communications and online organizing. The position will involved working closely with the Director of Communications and Online Organizing to build out our communications infrastructure, develop integrated online campaigns, compile communications resources, and reach out to journalists, educators, stakeholders and supporters, through the use of traditional and new media tools.
The New Economy Coalition has moved moving rapidly to develop the strategic communications capacity needed to grow our network and the New Economy movement, and we expect that this position will enable us to amplify the voices of young people within our existing communications work and facilitate meaningful conversation about the possibility for an economy that functions within resource and environmental limits.
- Build the Youth and Student Network's strategic communications capacity:
- Work with the Communications Director to oversee the development of a microsite for the program.
- Help to utilize and develop online platforms for training, support and peer-to-peer communication in the Youth and Student Network.
- Help design and implement NEC's list building strategy, with a focus on reaching more young people.
- Create and curate content:
- Write copy for the periodic release of topical blast emails to our database.
- Compile relevant news and events for the regular release of online news bulletins.
- Write and curate other content as necessary.
- Assist with logistics, data management, planning and coordination as necessary.
- All other tasks necessary to work with staff to develop comprehensive, integrated communications strategy for the program and for the organization.
- All other reasonable tasks as requested by the Communications Director, the Director of Youth and Student Organizing and other staff.
- Help design and implement strategic online organizing campaigns around the program and the current needs of young people in the New Economy movement.
- Manage the Youth and Student Network program's social media presence:
- Use Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other channels to amplify current events and news, disseminate the organization's video resources, promote the Global Transition to a New Economy map, grow an online community and generate interest in sponsored events.
- Advise the staff on targeted online advertising and other new avenues of online communication to support the organization's work.
- Manage the Youth and Student Network program's external media outreach and public relations:
- Utilize press releases, media relationships, and other means to earn media for the Youth and Student Network, NEC, and the movement at large.
- Increase the capacity of the young people in our network to tell their own stories, through trainings and other strategies.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Commitment to the New Economy Coalition's mission.
- Exceptional background and work experience in online communications and traditional media.
- Experience in campaigning and organizing
- Experience managing design and execution of web based projects such as website redesign.
- Excellent web skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, basic web editing, social media and database platforms, amongst others.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
- Flexibility and willingness to operate in a fast paced, community environment.
- Meticulous with details and facts.
Salary will be competitive with other non-profit organizations. Commensurate with experience, salary will fall within a $35,000 to $42,000 range plus benefits.