Youth and Student Network Organizer
Youth and Student Network Organizer
The New Economy Coalition (NEC) seeks a highly capable, flexible and experienced Youth and Student Network Organizer. The function will include responsibilities for proposal selection, coordination and organizing support for youth and student microgrant program; development of youth and student leadership in the New Economy Coalition; strategic deployment of resources to grow existing relationships with college and university groups and to build new relationships with youth organizations, particularly in low-income communities and communities of color; and recruitment, program development and organizing support for youth and students at the June 2014 New Economy Coalition convening. This is a full time position with benefits.
The mission of the New Economy Coalition (NEC) is to convene and support all those who might contribute to an economy that is restorative to people, place, and planet, and that operates according to principles of democracy, justice and appropriate scale. Faced with interconnected ecological and economic crises, we believe that shared prosperity, sustainability and an equitable society require deep, systemic changes to both our economy and our politics. We support a just transition to a new economy that enables both thriving communities and ecological health.
NEC is a network of individuals and organizations interacting within a broad framework of shared objectives, open to many perspectives and ideas. We share a commitment to working across differences to change the political economic system through mutual learning and collaborative action.
In the spring of 2013, we offered young people across North America an opportunity to play a role in building this New Economy. Through the New Economics Institute Campus Network Program (now the New Economy Coalition Youth and Student Network), they were invited to develop a vision for a more just and sustainable economy—and to plant the seeds that could make that vision a reality on their campuses and in their communities.
After a year of successful organizing, the New Economy Coalition's Youth and Student Network is poised to move into a new phase – dramatically growing the network of young people engaged in building the New Economy, incubating projects and campaigns led by students and youth, and moving towards a collective vision and strategy. We are launching a second round of micro-grant programs, building relationships with a growing network of young people and developing young leaders in the New Economy Coalition and in the New Economy field more generally.
Perhaps our most important learning from the first year of our youth and student organizing work was around the need for focused and intentional engagement with low income communities and communities of color—and dedicated resources to support this engagement. We recognize that we cannot speak about building a new economy without tackling issues of racial and economic justice head on, and we are wholly committed to aligning our personnel recruitment, staff and board development and programming to reflect this fact. To that end, the New Economy Coalition is launching a Racial and Economic Justice Initiative, with which the Youth and Student Network will be working closely. In particular, we will be working to engage with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and youth organizations in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Work with Director of Youth and Student Organizing and NEC senior staff to select youth and student micro-grant recipients.
- Develop relationships with youth and student organizers and act as a liaison to match them with the necessary resources to execute successful programs.
- Be proactive in identifying organizational partnerships to provide youth and student networks with appropriate community partnerships, content and training resources.
- Build the organization's youth and student network through strategic outreach to partner organizations, to faculty and staff at colleges and universities and to youth and student groups, with a focus on youth-led organizations in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Travel to communities as appropriate to support youth and student groups in the network.
- Work with NEC communications staff to develop promotion strategy for youth and student network.
- Work with NEC staff and partner organizations to plan youth and student engagement for June 2014 conference.
- Assist with logistics, data management, planning and coordination for Youth and Student Network projects.
- All other tasks necessary to work with staff to develop comprehensive, integrated youth and student organizing strategy for the organization.
- All other reasonable tasks as requested by the Director of Youth and Student Organizing and other staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Commitment to the New Economy Coalition's mission.
- Exceptional background and work experience in organizing, particularly with students and youth.
- Experience in event planning and execution.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
- Flexibility and willingness to operate in a fast paced, community environment.
- Meticulous with details and facts.
Salary will be competitive with other non-profit organizations. Commensurate with experience, salary will fall within a $35,000 to $42,000 range plus benefits.