Did you know? NEC has 175 members from 29 states and 5 Canadian provinces?Click here to see the full list.
Stories From the Field
Not Just Bakers: Arizmendi Bakery just hit 20 years of operating. The worker-owned cooperative has grown from one lone shop to six locations across the Bay Area. Worker-owner Amy Happ lays out the benefits of co-ops: "Before the financial collapse people said things like, 'Oh. You're just a baker.' But when we're going through a recession, people are amazed by our stability."
#Divest: NoDAPL was a major moment for the divestment movement having spurred countless individuals and even some banks to pull their money from projects funding the pipeline. So what does the divestment movement need now? Keep organizing.
Resource: Ungovernable 2017
A plan to be #ungovernable in 2017 sets out ways to both build and fight. In it, they call for community owned food and energy networks, common spaces, and People’s Assemblies as well as resisting through sanctuary cities, communication networks, and civil actions. Check out the website for a map of nationwide inauguration protests.
Universal Basic Income:
- Finland is Giving 2,000 Citizens a Guaranteed Income
- A Brief History of the Idea That Everyone Should Get Free Cash for Life
- The Wrong Kind of UBI
- NAACP Occupies Senator Jeff Sessions Office
- Flooded with phone calls from voters, House GOP drops effort to gut ethics panel
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Announces Free College Plan With Bernie Sanders
- In 2017, Fusing Identity and Class Politics in “Trumpland”
- The growing urgency of building a new economy in coal-powered Appalachia
- The Whatchamacallit Economy
- What's Next for the #BuyTwitter Campaign
- Tech Workers Vow Not to Build Trump Muslim Registry
Participatory Budgeting Program CoordinatorCity of Seattle, Seattle, WA
ROC the Bay Local Director, Restaurant Opportunities Center United, Oakland, CA
Filmmaker, Meerkat Media Co-op, Brooklyn, NY
Executive Director, Penobscot East, Stonington, ME
The People's State of the Union is an annual civic ritual and participatory art project rooted in the truth that democracy is a conversation, not a monologue. Any individual or organization can sign up to host a Story Circle event, bringing people together to share first-person stories reflecting on the state of our union, deepening relationships, finding strategic paths forward, and inspiring the Poetic Address to the Nation. (National January 27- February 5, 2017)
A lecture series by Lance Bennett, University of Washington Professor of Political Science & Ruddick C. Lawrence Professor of Communication on the coming realignment of environment, economy, and democracy. (Seattle, WA, January 17, 2017)
The USA Cooperative Youth Council is hosting a national gathering in Hampton, GA. It's a space for people ages 17-30 and allies to connect, & build skills in organizing and coop development. (Hampton, GA January 27-29, 2017)