Thank you for your interest in this position. Unfortunately, we are no longer accepting applications at this time. We greatly appreciate your interest in working with NEC and wish you the best of luck with your job search.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The New Economy Coalition is hiring a Communications Manager to play a leading role in communicating the work of NEC’s members, our network, and the broader movement toward a new economy. The person in this position will be responsible for coordinating the communications team to implement NEC’s strategy as it pertains to press, publications, and social media.
Location: We are open to applicants from across the USA, but strongly prefer applicants based in Boston, MA or New York, NY.
Start Date: September 2016
Salary: $44-$46.5k, commensurate with experience
NEC aspires to be an inclusive and liberatory organization. We value having a diversity of life experiences and perspectives on our team. We strongly encourage applicants who identify as persons of color, women, and/or gender nonconforming to apply. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Thank you for your interest in this position. Unfortunately, we are no longer accepting applications at this time. We greatly appreciate your interest in working with us and wish you the best of luck with your job search.
- Designing and implementing NEC’s strategy to develop a public relations apparatus to amplify stories about our members and the movement to new audiences.
- Seeking out and nurturing strategic relationships with publications, journalists, and other media partners to advance the story of the new economy in increasingly mainstream conversations.
- Coordinating NEC’s social media and email marketing, which is largely implemented by NEC’s communications coordinator.
- Interfacing directly with designers and artists to create marketing materials to advance our work.
- Coordinate the writing and editing of official NEC communications and publications.
- Monitoring news and media, and keeping staff, board and membership abreast of the latest developments related to our work.
- Developing public relations and marketing plans for NEC events and campaigns.
- Working with the communications director to field media requests, and generate and train staff and membership on new economy talking points.
- Supervising the communications coordinator.
- Working with the communications director to coordinate the overall communications team workplan.
- Writing official outward communications on behalf of the executive director, board and fellow staff.
- Work with the development team to coordinate the development of certain publications (e.g. brochures, annual report) to advance NEC’s work.
- Assist with organizational logistics, data management, planning and coordination as necessary.
- All other reasonable tasks as requested by the communications director, the programs team, and the staff leadership team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Understanding of and commitment to new economy values, such as racial, economic, and climate justice; cooperative ownership; democratic governance; and systems change.
- Experience communicating publically as an organizational or campaign representative
- In-depth understanding of mainstream and progressive news landscape.
- Experience building the capacity of others to tell their own stories and leveraging the media as a tool for advancing social justice.
- Experience with digital organizing and email marketing, particularily in the context of social movement or nonprofit work.
- Some supervisory and management experience.
- A positive attitude, and an ability to be flexible and work under pressure. The right applicant will be self-directed and will also love working collaboratively as part of a fun, passionate team.
- Comfort working with remote team members.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong writing and editing experience.
- Proficiency with multimedia editing, Adobe Suite.
- Ability to speak and write in multiple languages not required but is a plus, particulary spanish.
The Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director. This position requires some travel, and working on occasional evenings and weekends.
Full time (~40hr/wk)
SALARY RANGE (annual, U.S. $)
$44,000-$46,500, commensurate with experience.
Full benefits include: 4 weeks paid vacation, All federal holidays, 100% NEC paid individual health and dental insurance, Life/AD&D, short and long-term disability, SIMPLE IRA retirement savings plan