We are no longer accepting proposals for network gatherings. In March, we will begin soliciting proposals for workshops. Stay tuned!
Network Gatherings are day-long gatherings that will be held on the first day (Friday, July 8) of CommonBound. They are proposed and organized by volunteers who want to bring a group of 20-100 people together to increase the capacity of our movements. They can be organized as open or closed meetings.
Formats might include a day-long training, a meeting for members of an existing network, a bridge building session between folks from two sectors/movements, a strategy session for local groups, or a mini-retreat.
Each gathering should have 2-4 coordinators who can commit several hours per week between January 2016 and July 2016. The work hours needed is variable and may be more like 2 hours per week earlier in the year and closer to 15 or 20 hours per committee in the final weeks leading up to CommonBound.
Gatherings will be selected by NEC staff through an application process.
We’re looking for gatherings that:
- are focused on creating deep systemic change toward justice and sustainability.
- advance connectivity, collaboration, and leadership development within the New Economy movement.
- are described with clear and accessible language.
- are engaging and empowering.
- embody a commitment to sharing power and uprooting legacies of harm.
- are submitted by teams of 2-4 people, with a strong preference for coordinators from multiple organizations working together.
- include coordinators from NEC member organizations. Note that this is a preference and not a requirement. Coordinating teams unaffiliated with a member organization are still encouraged to propose a gathering.
Coordinators are expected to:
- develop the content of the gathering.
- recruit participants and session presenters.
- work with NEC to manage participant logistics.
- do some fundraising to help get participants to CommonBound.
- document their process and give feedback to NEC throughout.
- encourage participants to propose CommonBound workshops and participate in the entire conference.
- each coordinating team is required to send at least one person to a planning meeting likely in Buffalo over the weekend of March 5-6. NEC will cover travel and housing for one person.
- advice and support on programming and fundraising, as needed.
- space for the gathering.
- some funding for food, travel, and housing.
- a baseline of materials (markers, paper, projectors, etc.).
- marketing/outreach support.
- free registration for coordinators.