Location: Remote, USA
Length of contract: 6 months
Time Commitment: Full-time temporary contract position (32 hours per week)
Application deadline: ASAP, proposals submitted by Feb 17 are given priority
Compensation: Because we are considering individual candidates as well as firms, we are not listing salary or pay rate, but we have budgeted to pay for this position at a rate that is competitive on the market and accounts for the fact that the contract does not provide benefits.
NEC seeks an individual or firm to provide fiscal management, personnel management, compliance, and administration support for the organization. New Economy Coalition is currently shifting its structure from a traditional top-down nonprofit organizational structure to a worker self-directed model and is in need of short-term operational support to ensure critical organizational functions are maintained through the transition process
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, adaptive and collaborative. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in nonprofit management and a willingness to add capacity to staff and board while they engage in the process of aligning NEC’s organizational structure with its values and mission of building a solidarity economy.
WHO IS NEC?
New Economy Coalition (NEC) is building the power and scale of the solidarity economy movement in the United States. Our national network of 200+ members are transforming the current system — creating in its place an economy that places power in the hands of people, uproots legacies of harm, and preserves the planet. Our members represent a diverse cross-section of the solidarity economy movement, from worker cooperative developers and technical assistance providers, to community loan funds, think tanks, and policy advocates.
NEC is a fully remote organization. In a typical year, we expect staff to travel within the United States several times a year to staff retreats, conferences, and donor visits. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not currently traveling and are convening all programs virtually.
Lead and Manage HR and Internal Systems Circle
- Oversee our relationships with our PEO, external accountant and bookkeeper, and other vendors to administer payroll, benefits, leaves, and insurance policies.
- Assist with the administrative work of integrating new hires into the organization
- Support in the development, updating, and refinement of all employee policies to ensure alignment between organizational values and legal compliance.
- Attend meetings and assist with facilitation of HR and Operations Circles
- Update and maintain organizational and legal records
Support Finance and Accounting Circle
- Support monthly financial reporting for General Circle, Board, and funders.
- Work with our bookkeeper and staff to support gift processing, expense tracking, donation tracking, A/P and A/R, banking relationships, and cash flow management as needed
- Support PPP Loan and/or credit line oversight as needed
- Optimize use and increase staff wide adoption of project management, communication and CRM tools.
- Assist with the management and maintenance of the following systems with attention to best practices in data security.
- Google Drive files
- Google Group membership
- Powerbase database management – cleaning up and updating contacts with funders and members
- Communication lists
- Process website contact form inquiries and voicemails
- Support administrative and operational tasks related to shared member services, like our Meltwater shared account.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of formal education, paid work experience, unpaid/volunteer experience, and life experience will be considered to meet the following:
- 3-5 years of experience leading non-profit and/or democratic workplace operations, human resources, and administration.
- Demonstrated experience in building internal systems which are transparent, efficient, and accountable
- Strong understanding of and experience with implementing HR and employee policies from a legal and administrative perspective
- Understanding of and commitment to solidarity economy values, such as racial, economic, and climate justice; cooperative ownership; democratic governance; and systems change.
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Powerbase CRM, Asana project management tools.
- Strong time management skills, self-motivated with accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience and/or desire and ability to work in a remote environment, including experience with remote communication tools (Zoom, Slack, etc)
- Willing to learn from mistakes, receive feedback, and give feedback to others.
- Commitment to building a culture of mutual accountability, liberation, and respect.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume, proposal and rates in pdf form to NEC Board Co-Chair Julia Ho at firstname.lastname@example.org.