**We are no longer accepting applications for this position**
Location: Remote, USA Compensation: $68,000 plus a generous benefits & paid time off package Time Commitment: Full Time Salaried Position (32 hours per week) Start Date: The full-time start date is September 2021, but we hope to contract this person for 2-3 weeks for on-boarding in early or mid-July, as well. Priority deadline is June 16, though we will continue to review applications.
WHO IS NEC?
New Economy Coalition (NEC) is building the power and scale of the solidarity economy movement in the United States. Our national network of 200+ members are transforming the current system — creating in its place an economy that places power in the hands of people, uproots legacies of harm, and preserves the planet. Our members represent a diverse cross-section of the solidarity economy movement, from worker cooperative developers and technical assistance providers, to community loan funds, think tanks, and policy advocates. NEC is a fully remote organization. In a typical year, we expect staff to travel within the United States several times a year to staff retreats, conferences, and donor visits. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not currently traveling and are convening all programs virtually.
NEC is seeking a full-time Communications Organizer to join its team. The ideal candidate will have a deep commitment to racial, economic, and environmental justice, and will have skills at the intersections of digital organizing, community organizing, and communications. We are looking for someone who has coordinated teams, developed organizational communications strategy, and has demonstrated leadership experience. The primary responsibilities of the Communications Organizer are to support external and internal communications that popularize the vision of the solidarity economy while growing the collective power of NEC’s membership network. Our goal is to grow a cross-class, multi-racial network of people and organizations who are building the solidarity economy movement. Additional roles include managing digital communications and social media, as well as working with the Communications Circle to develop a media strategy, maintaining a portfolio of NEC member relationships, and supporting the projects and campaigns of our Network Organizing and Development-Communications circles. NEC is currently shifting our structure from a traditional top-down nonprofit organizational structure to a worker self-directed nonprofit model. NEC’s work is serious and urgent but we also make space for joy, for healing, and for connection. The ideal candidate will contribute to the creation of a liberatory work culture in which folks can bring their whole selves to the work. Application deadline is June 16th. The ideal full-time start date is September 2021, with a few weeks of contract work in July for on-boarding. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
NEC Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership (40%)
- Lead the creation and implementation of an organizational communications strategy that reflects the changing strategy of the organization, develops the foundation for a public relations apparatus and amplifies stories about our members to new audiences.
- Create systems and seek out relationships with publications, journalists, influencers and other media partners to advance the story of the solidarity economy in increasingly mainstream conversations.
- Work with the Communications team and NEC team to execute NEC’s social media, digital outreach and email marketing efforts.
Network Organizing (20%)
- Organize and facilitate quarterly meetings for NEC Communicators to build relationships across the network, facilitate skill sharing and identify shared campaigns.
- Support the production of monthly newsletters and internal monthly member updates.
- Stay updated on NEC member organizations’ news and conduct phone calls with members quarterly.
- When possible, visit NEC members in the region where you live to capture stories, content and build relationships within the network.
Development Communications (20%)
- Collaborate with staff for fundraising campaigns, drafting appeals, and supporting outreach within the network and to the public.
- Co-design and produce fundraising-related marketing material, including, but not limited to appeal letters, brochures, and annual reports, ensuring that inspiring stories from our membership reach current and prospective donors.
Additional Responsibilities [20%]
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, biweekly development meetings, and biweekly General Circle meetings with staff and board, including supporting with occasional facilitation and note-taking.
- Participate in staff-wide trainings, staff study group, and strategic planning processes.
- Attend and support our annual NEC Member Gathering (virtual in 2021 and in-person meetings in 2022).
- Attend virtual membership meetings, including supporting planning and facilitation.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS Any combination of formal education, paid work experience, unpaid/volunteer experience, and life experience will be considered to meet the following:
- Minimum 3 – 5 years experience with communications organizing, marketing and/or branding work, and/or community organizing.
- Experience drafting and implementing communications and/or media strategy for an organization.
- Experience creating messages, memes and managing organizational social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Interest in gaining skills around engaging publicly through public speaking, live video creation, event hosting and generating original content.
- Understanding of and commitment to solidarity economy values, such as racial, economic, and climate justice; cooperative ownership; democratic governance; and systems change.
- Strong writing and editing experience.
- Experience with a CRM/database.
- A passion for network and relationship building.
- A positive attitude, and an ability to be flexible and work under pressure.
- Experience with Public Relations software, like Meltwater is a plus.
- Strong time management skills, self-motivated with accuracy and attention to detail.
- The right applicant will be self-directed and will also love working collaboratively as part of a fun, passionate team.
- Desire and ability to work in a remote environment and willingness to travel post-Pandemic.
- Willing to learn from mistakes, receive feedback, and give feedback to others.
- Commitment to building a culture of mutual accountability, liberation, conflict resolution, anti-oppression and respect.
Full benefits including healthcare, dental, short and long term disability, 401k, employer-provided laptop and home office stipend, flexible schedule, and 20 vacation days (in addition to federal holidays). NEC aspires to build an inclusive and liberatory organization. We value having a diversity of life experiences, identities and perspectives on our staff. New Economy Coalition is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.