Purpose: to support staff in practicing a culture of solidarity, cooperation, equity, sustainability, and pluralism for the New Economy Coalition and the solidarity economy movement.
Circle commitments: Sistemas (HR + operations), Finance – lead
Location: Remote position (anywhere in the US)
Compensation: To determine our staff salaries, NEC uses an equity-based compensation calculator to determine exact rates. Salary for this position is $68K, with adjustments upward to a maximum of $90,000 based on various cost of living and lived experience factors. Staff salaries are non-negotiable and are calculated from the same base rate for all positions. Compensation includes a generous benefits and PTO package.
Time Commitment: Full Time Salaried Position (32 hours per week).
Application deadline: Priority will be given to applications received before March 27th.
Start Date: May 9, 2022
WHO IS NEC?
New Economy Coalition (NEC) is a membership-based organization working to build the power and scale of the solidarity economy movement in the United States. Our network of 200+ member organizations are working to transform the extractive economy and build up community ownership and just transition solutions with a strong intersectional lens. NEC members work across regions and various solidarity economy sectors, including co-ops, community land trusts, participatory budgeting, public banks, credit unions, energy democracy, and more! NEC is a fully remote organization. In a typical year, we expect staff to travel within the United States several times a year to staff retreats, conferences, and donor visits. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not currently traveling and are convening all programs virtually.
Finance and Accounting
- Serve as circle coordinator for the current Finance circle.
- Lead Finance circle in managing and monitoring organizational finances, including bank accounts, audit process, security protocols, accounting books, finance projections, and overall financial health.
- Support our external bookkeeper to track and project the organization’s cash flow on a monthly basis
- Work with our bookkeeper and staff to support gift processing, expense tracking, donation tracking, A/P and A/R, banking relationships, and cash flow management as needed.
- Co-lead collective budgeting processes to determine annual organization budget.
- Organize trainings and share relevant resources to strengthen financial management literacy among the entire NEC staff.
HR and Internal Systems
- Serve as circle coordinator for the current HR-IS circle.
- Manage annual peer review, onboarding, time off, and compensation processes.
- Oversee our relationships with our PEO, external accountant and bookkeeper, and other vendors to administer payroll, benefits, leaves, and insurance policies.
- Assist with the administrative work of integrating new hires into the organization
- Support in the development, updating, and refinement of all employee policies to ensure alignment between organizational values and legal compliance.
- Update and maintain organizational and legal records.
- Optimize use and increase staff wide adoption of project management, communication and CRM tools.
- Assist with the management and maintenance of NEC’s digital systems with attention to best practices in data security.
Staff Culture & Organizational Responsibilities
- Lead staff and member conversations regarding NEC organizational structure & culture; support development and iterations of staff and organizational structures.
- Support the Director of Internal Weaving to ensure that strategic goals and group decisions follow policy and agreed-upon process, and that the priorities on staff agendas are aligned with collective agreements and board vision.
- Based on capacity and interest, be the primary contact for a small slate of NEC members.
- Attend and support annual NEC Member Gathering (virtual in 2022).
- When possible, attend virtual membership meetings, including supporting planning and facilitation depending on interest and capacity.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and biweekly General Circle meetings with staff and board, including supporting with occasional facilitation and note-taking.
- Participate in staff-wide trainings, staff study group, and strategic planning processes.
- Hold rotating administrative roles.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Any combination of formal education, paid work experience, unpaid/volunteer experience, and life experience will be considered to meet the following:
- 6+ years of experience leading non-profit and/or democratic workplace operations, finance, human resources, and administration.
- Demonstrated experience in building internal systems which are transparent, efficient, and accountable.
- Strong understanding of and experience with implementing HR and employee policies from a legal and administrative perspective.
- Understanding of and commitment to solidarity economy values, such as racial, economic, and climate justice; cooperative ownership; democratic governance; and systems change.
- Proficiency with Quickbooks, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, CiviCRM, Asana project management tools.
- Strong time management skills, self-motivated with accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience and/or desire and ability to work in a remote environment, including experience with remote communication tools (Zoom, Slack, etc)
- Willing to learn from mistakes, receive feedback, and give feedback to others.
- Commitment to building a culture of mutual accountability, liberation, and respect.
Full benefits including healthcare, dental, short and long term disability, retirement fund, employer-provided laptop and home office stipend, flexible schedule, and 16 vacation days (in addition to federal holidays). NEC aspires to build an inclusive and liberatory organization. We value having a diversity of life experiences, identities and perspectives on our staff. We are an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply: To apply, fill out an application here. You will be asked to upload a:
- Cover letter
- Work sample that gives us a sense of your operations, financial management, and/or communication style..
NEC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.